Right now, I’m between jobs (until the summer semester starts, anyway) and between phases of my life. I’m in this weird transitional state that has me feeling like a very liminal being, because even though I once again have a long term goal to work toward (woohoo PhD), I can’t actually start working toward it until August/September.
I find myself making lists just to cope. To-do lists, of course, but also to-visit lists and to-save-up-for lists, to-donate lists and to-throw-out lists, to-keep and to-store lists.
So, with PhD school fast approaching, what’s on this word nerd’s mind?
- Deciding which books to take and which to leave. I’ve got 560+ books, and unfortunately, I can’t justify hauling them all cross-country right now.
- The summer Intro to Composition class I’m teaching at a local community college.
- Revising and resubmitting a paper.
- Finishing the short story I’m writing.
- My novel, which is currently a quarter-finalist in a contest I will refrain from naming.
- Getting a haircut.
- Buying a hedgehog and naming him Bunbury.
- Dressing Bunbury in a tophat and taking pictures of him. In Steampunk/Neo-Victorian settings.
- Saving up for one of these beauties:
- Pie (I am always thinking about pie, as is my sister, who blogs about it at http://www.cinnamonandsuch.blogspot.com #shamelessplug)
- The deliciousness of piñon coffee (and whether or not I’ll be able to obtain it in Oregon).
- Ditto, except for greenchile.